Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Travel - Madurai and Courtallam, India

2013 started off with a trip to Madurai, for the weddings in the family.

We made a one day trip to Courtallam on impulse. It was my first time there. We visited the Main Falls, Five Falls and the Old Courtallam Falls. There was heavy overflow of water because of recent rains and hence people were asked not to be in the water at the main falls and the old Courtallam falls. There were still few people getting in Five Falls though.


Main Falls
Just Chilling!

And the monkeys - they were everywhere. I was terrified one of them was going to spring on me anytime. We stopped to buy ‘nungu’ and I had to rush inside the car to avoid the monkey attack!

Hitchhiking?!
Five Falls
Old Courtallam Falls
We also visited ‘Kadambavanam Resort’ near Madurai, one evening. We watched a beautiful sunset there.


Sunset at 'Kadambavanam Resort'
I liked the murals in the performance theater. We watched a performance, watched the ‘Ramayanam’ puppet show and ate at the buffet. Looked like there is still a lot more work to be done like parking and accessibility to the place.


Kadambavanam Resort
Kadambavanam Resort
I felt like the Mayil attam, Poikkal Kuthirai attam and the Melam are apt for outdoor festivities but sounded too loud and out of place when performed on stage. Maybe they can be improvised as plays? I also felt like the puppet show needs some fine tuning. It is a good effort and I hope they make improvements and are able uphold the maintenance.

Kadambavanam Resort

2 comments:

  1. India trips tend to drain one out. I need information about this Kadambavam. It looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out more info here - http://www.kadambavanam.in/Contact_Us.html

    ReplyDelete